[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers, etc

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 17 20:58:40 PDT 2007

Suey wrote:

>Where is our Lady Brighid?

My apologies.  I'm a little behind on my email.  I have been only
skimming this thread, so forgive me if I repeat any points that someone
else has made.

I consulted my facsimile edition of de Nola.  The word in recipe 91
(marzipans for invalids) that I translated as "wafer" is "oblea".

I then dug out my micro-printed edition of Covarrubias 1609 "Tesoro De
La Lengua Castellena" (whose print seems to have shrunk further in the
years since I purchased it).  He defines "oblea" as a leaf of very thin
dough.  Oblea which are half twisted (medio torcidas) as called
"barquillos".  Those made "en cañutos" (in tubes? in the form of tubes")
so that they are very folded (muy plegadas) are called "supplicaciones".

Alys Katharine, it may comfort you to know that Covarrubias says that
"ostia" or "ostion" are corrupted forms of "ostra" used by some people.

--

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
Robin Carroll-Mann *** rcmann4 at earthlink.net