[Sca-cooks] Obleys, wafers, etc

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 18 07:38:28 PDT 2007

Adamantius wrote:
>I believe I recall a German recipe... is it in Ein Buoch Von Guter
>Spise? which specifies wafers as a substrate for a marzipan tart, also.

English sources also say to use wafers as a base for marchpanes.  May (The
Accomplisht Cook) says "...set an edge about it as you do a quodling tart,
and the bottom of wafers under it, thus bake it in an oven or
baking-pan..."  Same for Markham (1615 - The English Housewife) - "...then
with a rolling-pin roll it forth, and lay it upon wafers washed with
rose-water..."  Same for Murrell (1617 - A Daily Exercise for Ladies and
Gentlewomen) - "...make a bottome to it with Wafers..."

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/