[Sca-cooks] Soapstone

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:24:10 PDT 2007

You have me a bit surprised on this subject as no one has brought up
medieval Muslin use of soapstone pots which seemed to have been normal
fare in the Arab world in medieval times. Perry points out that they
were used as they did not change the flavor of or discolor food. He goes
onto say that they are durable but can break due to physical shocks.
Harisa and other foods that are beaten were not cooked in them. So some
reason that I cannot remember they were never adapted in Spain during
the occupation period. We used some other product for out pots and pans
which I shall remember after consulting a pillow cause we had this big
thing about throwing pots out after the first use. Was soapstone too
expensive for us to do that then?
Suey