[Sca-cooks] fork

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 22:55:54 PDT 2007

Diane & Micheal Reid wrote:

>   The devil made them do it, ah symbolism such a great thing.
>  Da

This is not working out Alonso Luego says at the beginning of the 15th
Century Pietro de Oreseolo married his son to the Byzantine princess who
brought the gold fork(s) for her wedding banquet with his son. Pietro II
de Oreseolo was Dogge of Venice from 991-1009. It seems to be pretty
well established that the wedding took place in 1004 in some reports.
Now Henrisch states and I believe one of our SCA colleagues too the
marriage was between the princess and Domenice Selvo's son. Selvo was
dogge between 1071-1081. It seems to me that Alonso Luengo had a
grammatical mishap as his subject here was that the fruit fork served to
guests during Suero Quinones tournament in the 1430's. Alonso's point
here is that using metal to transmit food from animals to the mouth was
prohibited by the Church while fruit was permitted, therefore we have
the fruit fork in Spain cause they said OK but not as far as meat is
concerned.
    Henrisch at the same time perhaps has some kind of a mishap cause
perhaps the fork was pardoned during Selvo's service as doge for food
not originating from animals but the general rule as I understand it was
that God gave us fingers, natural forks, somewhere along the way as per
the Church rulings. I don't know I don't have my RC cannon laws here -
another failure trying to live in two different continents with split
libraries. The Canon Laws are under my spouse's desk in Madrid and I am
in Chile right now! But there should be a Cannon Law on this no?
    Further, the wedding could have been during Pietro I's  (976-978)
term as doge or while Otto Oreseolo was in office (1009-1026) as far as
I can see.
    Now I have another problem Alonso goes on to state that this "15th C
wedding" was not with our Byzantine princess but with the sister of
Ramon Agricola, a rich Venetian business man. I can no trace of Ramano
but that Agricola is the name of a Greek princess and the bride in
question is supposed to have married in 955 as opposed to the Byzantine
bride of 1004. The father of the groom then would have been Pietro III
Candie's son if it is true she married the doge's son.
    Whatever - a bride of a Venetian seems to have introduced the fork
to Italy to eat all morsels meat or whatever but now we get into a messy
affair cause it seems to have something do with the schism between the
RC and the Orthodox Church in 1054 cause the RC's identified the fork
with the devil's pitch fork as DA points out. Now I have a complete
blank there. I can't remember what I was told by my profs in college as
far as the reasons for the schism  is concerned but I certainly don't
remember that forks caused the fork in the road. (Interesting side light
as the Pope right now is trying to negotiate to reunite the two Churches
when I can't remember why the cause for the split in the first place.)
    In short the more I read the more I don't know. Can someone
straighten me out???
Suey