[Sca-cooks] Onion Juice - and Saffron measurements

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 06:31:10 PST 2007

Just as an aside - I was at Central Market this weekend and saw the Onion
Juice Stefan referred to. It is a brand called Howard. It was on the bottom
shelf...right next to the saffron of all things (which is what I was looking
for).

I have a question about saffron measurements. Someone gave me a recipe that
was redacted and I'm trying quintuple it. She said 1/2 tsp of Saffron for
2.5 cups of cooked rice. Now, if I'm quintupling that recipe, would I need
to quintuple the saffron? A) It is hideously expensive and B) It doesn't
necessarily function the same way as other spices. Any ideas?

Again, while checking out the spices, I found saffron on the bottom shelf
for $6 a gram and at the top of the shelf for $18 for 1.25 grams...what a
price difference!

Ysabeau