[Sca-cooks] capsicums

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 6 18:41:14 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
< < < <  I must bring up that Cajun food is more French than
anything else and so should NOT be too hot. A tingle
is fine but only a tingle. CREOLE on the other hand
lends more to Carribean foods and tends to be much
hotter, BUT with a mixture of spices not just HEAT.
BB
YIS
Lothar   > > > >

If by "more French" you mean a cuisine based on its French Acadian roots and
melded copiously with the native ingredients and influences, then I agree.
I tend to think of the Cajun culture and cuisine as more native American
than really French.  Sure it resenbles its distant relatives somewhat . . .
but it sure has a whole lot of indigenous seasonings and ingredients.  For
example, File (FEE-lay) just isn't a French seasoning thickener classically.

Either way, I agree wuth the point that using the word CAJUN is definitely
not a valid excuse (in my little world of food) for dumping unbalanced or
mindless amounts of hot seasonings into a pot of food.

niccolo difrancesco