[Sca-cooks] Orange Flower Water

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 8 18:37:28 PST 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 9:22 PM, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>> I was just thinking: maybe people with distilling technology might
>> concentrate more on getting their perfume essences and such from
>> plants with aromatic blossoms which don't produce an edible fruit,
>> versus one which does... this might help explain the comparative
>> dearth of orange-flower-water recipes compared to those with rose
>> water.
>
> Well, roses produce an edible fruit :) and we know they distilled
> those
> by the cartload (literally).

I was wondering who would come out with that... ;-).

I do realize rose hips are edible. Nonetheless, if you look at
quantities consumed, it really doesn't make a significant change to
my point. It still _might_ help explain the phenomenon when you
consider the possibility that people knew that every blossom plucked
is one that doesn't produce fruit -- but apparently did it more with
roses, overall, than they did with oranges.

But yes, sheer volume of blossoms required might be a factor as well,
as well as the fact that we can't assume that orange blossoms yield
the same amount of essential oil, attar, whatever you call it, as
roses, per hundredweight.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04