[Sca-cooks] omelette? cooking in a bag

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Mar 29 23:07:04 PDT 2007

Johnna replied to me with:
<<< Think more like Boy Scout omelets... or Boy Scout campfire
cooking. Don't think Sunday brunch at the best restaurant in town.
Think in the woods with 12 year olds. To them it's an omelet.
Here see this:
  http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/recipe/recipe-1115.asp  >>>

Okay. I think it was several messages after the one I replied to
where the "Boy Scout" adjective appeared in connection with these
"omelettes". In 9 years in the Boy Scouts, 12 if you include Cub
Scouts, though, I don't ever remember cooking anything in plastic
bags in water. In foil packs, but not plastic bags. We always cooked
scrambled eggs and bacon in a skillet over the fire or on a few times
on sticks.  Of course I can also remember picking spilled bacon out
of the embers/off of logs and putting it back in the skillet for
further cooking. :-) I didn't do many omelets, and they didn't always
turn out that well, until after discussions on this list and some
hands-on teaching at Pennsic by Phlip.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas