[Sca-cooks] Wal-Mart (was: seal-a-meal clones)

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Fri Mar 30 10:41:22 PDT 2007

On Fri Mar 30 10:15 , "Martha Oser"  sent:

>That being said, if you're going to boycott Wal-Mart or Sam's, you may as
>well go ahead and boycott places like Home Depot and Target and Burger King
>while you're at it.

and some of us do. shop locally, think globally. :)

but I am fully aware that I am fortunate enough to live in a place with choices like that, and am
even more fortunate that I can afford to pay the small bit extra for buying my cat food at the
small local pet food store rather than PetCo.

my biggest complaint with teh big places is that they are "one size fits all" and their very
presence drives out the small guy. we only have one locally owned hardware store in my neighborhood
anymore (there's a home despot and a Lowes within blocks of my house, though) and its only a matter
of time before our little Crown Hill Hardware with their "bring in your screens and we'll re-screen
them for you" goes away. I love that hardware store :) even with their limited hours, and fine
patina of 40 year old dust on everything.

bring things back to topic, how do you think this mindset applies to our medieval game? did joe-
medieval-dude trust his local butcher more than the big shiney guy from out of town? or was the
appeal of the new and shiney as appealing to him as it is to most of the folks nowadays?

I dont shop at Safeway or Albertsons, nor do i shop at walmart or K-mart. I wont eat at Dennys or
McDonalds or other chains if at all possible. I avoid costco as much as I can, preferring the
locally owned Cash and Carry (even though costco IS a local corporation for us ;) but then so is
Nordstroms and Starbucks ;)). I prefer to buy my meat from a butcher and my produce from the
produce stand. but I am also aware that to be able to do so is a luxury many modern people cant
afford. And I try to be mindful of the idea that our medieval counterparts didnt HAVE giant
megalomarts for one stop shopping.

--Anne-Marie, who is eco-groovy and socially hip in her own slightly geeky way :)