[Sca-cooks] peerage vigil spreads?

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:12:57 PST 2007

>In your area of the world, how common is it to have a
>buffet/munchies/foodzels for a peerage vigil?

They used to be really common around here. I've done
several. I think they aren't as common as they used to
be in Ansteorra.

>If you have 'em, what sort of food and how much do people usually
>provide?

When I do vigil buffets I usually take the person who is being
elevated into account. I'll try to make dishes appropriate to their
personna and will often throw period out the window for a
couple of dishes and make their personal favorites.

Basically I'll do little finger foods such as tarts, filled items, cakes,
spreads, etc...

For an Elizabethan I remember doing pate', sugared fruits, mushroom
tarts, fruit gellies, roasted meats with sauces served open-faced,
comfits, caviar with cream cheese, etc...

Buffets vary from finger foods such as above to more hearty dishes
to be eaten from plates.

And then there was Sir Guy's vigil at Pennsic where I found out about
it that afternoon and the Bellatrix clan shoved a couple hundred dollars
in my hand and told me to prepare something. That was interesting
but I did manage to make a rather nice, if not period, buffet. My favorite
part of that was being told by one of my runners he'd been mauled by
a bunch of dukes who stole his full platter of caviar canapes and pushed
him back towards the prep tent telling him to get more. Since when do
big dumb stickjocks like caviar!?

>-- jadwiga

Yers,

Gunthar