[Sca-cooks] grow your own spices? (was) Onion Juice - and Saffron measurements

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Mar 6 08:28:28 PST 2007

>How hard is saffron to grow?

I've read that saffron isn't hard to grow in temperate climates.
But.. it only grows from bulbs not from seed.  If it is happy they
will multiply, but buying enough bulbs to have saffron for feast this
year, isn't going to be an economic solution.

Buying a few dozen and raising a patch for your kitchen's use is
possible. A dozen bulbs might give you enough saffron for a pot of
rice this year, and hopefully two pots next year, and so on.  I did
some research on this a few years back, but we moved before I could
plant any.

The handwork harvesting the saffron is why it is so expensive.
Saffron is the stamens of the specific type of crocus flower, and
each flower only has a few stamens.  Each flower has to be picked,
and the saffron separated.

Ranvaig