[Sca-cooks] grow your own spices? (was) Onion Juice - and Saffron measurements

Siren Song sirensong13 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 08:45:11 PST 2007

Oh I was only wanting to grow it for personal use. LOL I can't imagian if it is sold by the gram raising enough for a feast any time soon hehehe. "temperate climates" something tells me that is not something someone would call central Oklahoma. Well I would not at least. Though bulbs seem to do decent here. I have Iris, tulip, elephant ear, crocrus, and other bulbs.... eh, can't hurt to try right?

Thanks for the info :)
Siobhan

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote: >How hard is saffron to grow?

I've read that saffron isn't hard to grow in temperate climates.
But.. it only grows from bulbs not from seed.  If it is happy they
will multiply, but buying enough bulbs to have saffron for feast this
year, isn't going to be an economic solution.

Buying a few dozen and raising a patch for your kitchen's use is
possible. A dozen bulbs might give you enough saffron for a pot of
rice this year, and hopefully two pots next year, and so on.  I did
some research on this a few years back, but we moved before I could
plant any.

The handwork harvesting the saffron is why it is so expensive.
Saffron is the stamens of the specific type of crocus flower, and
each flower only has a few stamens.  Each flower has to be picked,
and the saffron separated.

Ranvaig

Lady Siobhan inghean ui Tigernaigh
http://www.bellaonline.com/site/renaissance
It's not the color of the Text but how you use it.