[Sca-cooks] Rumpolt pasteten

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 22 22:46:12 PDT 2007

>Thanks for the fun discussion Giano, Bear, Master A,
>and of course Ranveig for starting all this!

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

I've updated all the Spanish Pie recipes and posted them here:
http://www.geocities.com/ranvaig/medieval/spanishpies.pdf

And also uploaded my working glossary.  If you have time to look it
over and comment, I'd be MOST appreciative.  Where appropriate,
modern German is in parentheses. (This started as a list of spices,
and there are still a few words on it that are not in Rumpolt).
http://www.geocities.com/ranvaig/medieval/glossary.pdf

>YEP, I think that hits it on the head.
>I checked the copy of Rumpolt I have and it realy is
>laulicht, no T in the middle so I withdraw the lauter
>itea and agree with Lau , as in lukewarm as the basis.

I found another recipe that uses the word "warm", so I think lukewarm
is the right translation.
(Use the link above for the German version, so the umlauts show properly).

62. Spanish fritters to make from Beef marrow.  Take a fair flour/
warm water/ and a little salt/ make a dough from it/ wash the hands
clean/ and work the dough well/ an hour or one and a half/ until it
loosens itself from the table and hands/ push it separately/ until
thin as a paper/ and make such leaves twenty or thirty/ cut fresh
unsalted bacon small/ and melt it nicely cool/ Take with a clean
brush and spread on each leaf/ especially with the bacon/ lay each
over the other.  Take apple/ small black raisins/ cinnamon and sugar
over each other/ then take the marrow/ and scrape clean with a knife/
and cut it nicely small/ stir the apples and raisins together/ and
wrap in the dough/ that you have prepared/ cut up with a pastry
wheel/ and when you will do them in the oven/ then paint them with
egg yolk/ and look that you do not burn them/ sprinkle with white
sugar/ and give warm on a table/ like this it is delicate and good.

This makes me wonder exactly the difference between Spanish pies and
Hungarian tarts.

Ranvaig