[Sca-cooks] Sugar Waffles

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Mar 26 07:49:19 PDT 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Margaret FitzWilliam replied to Jadwiga:
>
> <<< On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>
> > A friend mentioned a fair speciality from her part of the finger
> lakes
> > region of NY, Sugar Waffles.
> > From her description, it's the waffles made with these irons:
> > http://www.petkeep.com/Sugar_Waffle.html
> >
> > I keep thinking there's another name for these, and also that
> > there's a period recipe similar to them -- could it be wafers?
>
> Rosettes. There's a recipe in Welserin for them:
>
> 88 A molded and fried pastry
>
> Take eight eggs and beat them well and pour them in a sieve and strain
> them, put a little wine in with it, so that it goes through easily, the
> chicken embryo remaining behind. Afterwards stir flour into it, until
> you
> think that it is right. Do not make the batter too thick. Dip the
> mold in
> with proper skill and let them fry, then it is well done. Salt the eggs
> [13].  >>>
>
> Oh! Thank you. Until you gave this period reference I was considering
> the info on these pastries interesting, but only of passing interest.
> I did think the stuffed sandwich maker which could be used over a
> campfire interesting as well. I wonder if they could be convinced to
> make a unit making flatter wafers with a period design.
>
> I've never heard of anything like these sugar wafers before. The
> result doesn't resemble my preconceived ideas of either a wafer or a
> waffle. I guess it is a regional difference. How are these sugar
> wafers usually eaten? As is? or sprinkled with powdered sugar? Or are
> the hollow sections filled with something and then eaten? What about
> in period?

Welserin doesn't say how they're served. I suspect that sprinkled with
sugar would be a valid presentation, but my focus is England/France
medieval, not German. The German experts on the list will probably have a
better idea.

Modernly I know rosettes as a Xmas cookie (of which there were many) in
our family. Since none of the family lived in a heavily Swedish
neighborhood, I had no idea that rosettes were a general Scandahoovian
thing until we moved up here to MN, where they appear in the grocery
stores in early December (dyed red or green, yech!).

Grandpa (who was Swedish and Austrian) served them sprinkled heavily with
powdered sugar, which is how I serve them when I make them.

YIS,

Margaret FitzWilliam
Northshield