[Sca-cooks] Doing my best

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 2 21:10:38 PST 2007

On Mar 3, 2007, at 12:04 AM, ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

>> Her remarks also read to me as childish, arrogant,
>
> That's the part that got to me.  I wouldn't talk that way here in
> Papa's living room, and it sure didn't belong in a scholarly book.

Yet another reminder (as if one were really necessary) that being
really, really good at something doesn't mean you're good at
everything, and that great scholars are human, make mistakes, and
occasionally screw up their interpersonal relations as well as the
next bozo.

>> There's some
>> question whether Adamson would ever have gotten off her butt and done
>> her own edition of Ein Buoch von Guter Spise had Atlas not produced
>> her flawed version.
>
> If my translation makes someone publish a better one, then I've have
> accomplished something!!

Yep. It's called "taking one for the team" ;-)

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If there's no bread, you have to say, let them eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04