[Sca-cooks] TV advice requested

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Tue Mar 6 07:52:58 PST 2007

What fun!

1. fresh ingredients and hygiene were important to them too...definately
debunk (in every show! :)) the idea that they had crappy food and covered it
up with tons of spices, etc. its amazing how prevalent this idea is still

2. maybe do one on Roman food, one on medieval Europe, one on medieval
eastern, one on Elizabethan? That could be fun to contrast with different
techniques, spicing/palates, souring agents, etc ?

3. be sure to include as many cool medieval tools and pots as possible. Is
it possible to get a real brass cauldron? Or a clay pipkin? Flesh hook? Cone
sugar?

When I did an "entry level" series on medieval cooking, we started with the
medieval palate and what food could taste like. Sweet-sour.
Savory-spicy-sweet. What ingredients were available (like the new world-old
world food game). That kind of thing. Then we could move into specifics.

Good luck!

--Anne-Marie