[Sca-cooks] TV advice requested

Ian Kusz sprucebranch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:02:37 PDT 2007

Yeah; if you mention a dish, tell them that if they want the recipe, they
can get it online at such-and-such place.

I would also have you include items that were in common use in the "old
days" that aren't used nowadays (and how to obtain, grow, and use them); one
item should fit in a 2-minute period; things like vetch (which I can't find
in stores), silphium (for which asafoetida is a substitute), purslane,
violet leaves, hartstongue, sorrel, strawberry leaves,
barberries, saxifrage, betony, bugloss and so on.  John Gerard's a good
source; so is Digby.  At least John Gerard's Herball shows a large variety
of herbs, and Digby includes a number in his dishes.

I mean, some basic dishes are the same as what is made, today; but you could
give people new options on ingredients....like....

"Well, everybody likes stew, but here are some ingredients that were used
in a recipe from 1669 that you may not have considered putting in your
stew....purslane is high in alpha-linolenic acid, one of the omega-3 fatty
acids (higher even than spinach), and the stems are high in vitamin
C....it's sometimes used in Greek salads..."

or,

"Salads are becoming more popular in these health-conscious days, but
here is a vegetable from John Gerard's Herball of 1597 that was used in
salads that you can use to spice things up, or for a bit of variety..."

Something like that....and there are lots and lots to choose from....and
many of them grow wild....so growing them in a garden is a snap...