[Sca-cooks] Alternate Feast Settings

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Mar 18 13:32:03 PDT 2007

"Than wyne and spyces were brought in, and so made collasyon."  Ld. Berners,
trans., "John Froissart's Chroniques, Vol II," 1525.  This appears to be the
earliest use of the word in English with the definition you ascribe.  Prior
to the 16th Century, the word was used to describe a light, fast day meal,
or a light meal served at a monestary.

When Charles IX (France) married Elizabeth of Austria in 1571, their
nuptials were celebrated with a feast followed by a dance followed by a
collation of preserves, sweet biscuits, fruit, marzipan, sugar paste shaped
as meat and fish, and six large sugar statutes of Minerva.

Bear