[Sca-cooks] Alternate Feast Settings

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Sun Mar 18 14:23:03 PDT 2007

Patrick Levesque wrote:

>Greetings all!
>
>I'm thinking about alternate ways to put on feasts for the populace at
>event.
>
>Specifically, I would like to hold something similar to the French
>"Collation" during a dancing event  (in a way, quite similar to food
>available in period balls, say). The way I see this, it would be kind of
>like an overgrown sideboard, preferably in an adjacent but not entirely
>closed up room.
>
>(Mind you, I still need to reasearch and develop further this "collation"
>concept)
>
>On the good side, I foresee that this would alleviate a lot of the serving
>strain (leave food there and change at regular intervals).
>
>There are probably a few bad sides as well; is anybody who has experimented
>with this (or other) alternate feast setting able to provide information and
>suggestions?

It's great as a supper at a ball or other after-dinner event-- you can
prepare most of the food ahead and plate the food during the first part
of the event.  Then people can eat and drink during breaks without fuss
about servers, feast gear, etc.   You can change the dishes
continuously, or you can put all types of food out at once and just
refresh the platters when they start to look a little empty, or you can
have two or three distinct courses.   Also, you can do this with very
limited kitchen facilities. It's not so quite so great as a full-blown
feast.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,