[Sca-cooks] Boozy ice OT was Re: Camp cooking ideas

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 25 16:52:12 PDT 2007

Oh anything will freeze if you get it cold enough.  But most of us don¹t
have freezers that go as low as  -114.3 °C!

For frozen desserts with wine as an ingredient:  the rule of thumb is to for
not more than ten percent of the total liquid volume to be actual unreduced
wine.  I wish I could find the sherry ice cream I made once, many years
ago... I think it might have been for Adelaide's wedding shower, which kind
of dates that.

I offer a recipe from Amaretto di Saronno's old cooking pamphlet.  I assure
you, this works.

LEMON AMARETTO ITALIAN ICES

2 cups water

3/4 cups sugar

Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon

1/2 cup amaretto liqueur

2 egg whites

In a saucepan, combine water and sugar.  Bring mixture to a boil and boil it
for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind and juice and
amaretto.  Pour mixture into a freezer container and freeze until mushy.  In
the meantime, beat the egg whites until very stiff.  Pour into a bowl and
beat until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites, then put the whole mixture
back into the freezer container and freeze until hard.

Yours in service to your taste buds,
Selene