[Sca-cooks] Grains

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 18:31:59 PDT 2007

In a message dated 3/29/2007 9:06:19 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net writes:

Since  I'm in Joplin at the minute, I don't have any of my sources to hand
and it  will be a week before I'm back with them.  I"m quite willing to help
you with possible references at that time.  Until then, let me  suggest
rooting through the Florilegium.

I have gotten excellent feedback from many people. I have also been  rooting.
 :-))  I can see where my question was perceived as  simplistic.  It was.
But in  a generic sense.  I have dry  cultures I want to start as fermentation
sponges, and would like to use the most  "appropriate" flour to the sponge.
What began as an exercise in tasting  different flours from different grains and
beans/peas/nuts for my cooks guild  has become my monster. My brain began to
wander (and those who know me can now  run screaming).  What if we could re
create bread specific to a culture for  a feast? So off I went in search of what
grain belonged where.  I have many  sources from paleolithic digs of what was
found "way back then". and many  writings post period regarding cultivated
domesticated grain and what the mini  ice ages did to each.  There is a really
interesting article on the ground  collecting of wild cereals in proceedings
from the National Academy of  Science.  I was just longing for the color coded m
aps of junior high  school. :-))  My A&S paper may just get to be an overview
instead of  the real deal.

Aldyth

If it is not  any fun, stop doing it. Find something that is fun, and start
doing it. Life is  too short not to have fun.