[Sca-cooks] Home cooked alternatives OOP

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Wed May 2 10:56:23 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
Thinking about an experiment for tomorrow- making scalloped potatoes
and ham with sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, but tonight,
we're going to have a simple roast chicken. > > > > >

It is wonderful to do!!  I tried it with success at a progressive dinner
with friends too long ago.  I did a simple light bechamel with a little
cinnamon and a little sugar with the nutmeg.  Made my scallop dish dotted
with butter and layered with the sauce.  Did bechamel as the startch from
sweet potatoes didn't thicken the cream well enough for my tastes the 1st
try.  I made a crumble of flour, butter, rolled oats, sugar and cinnamon for
topping.  Easy on suger just to get a slight sweetness.

Diced ham or shaved ham would work great with the same concept.  Gotta be
sure not to overcook the sweet taters as they get a little mushy.  It goes
swell with well seasond roasted meats, and with a good salted ham would be a
hearty meal.

niccolo difrancesco