[Sca-cooks] OT: Super Suppers

Ysabeau lady.ysabeau at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:28:04 PDT 2007

Okay, I went to Super Suppers today and I am planning on going back.

I arrived and they had everything ready for me. They had stations set up
with jars of spices, chopped veggies, etc. all laid out in one of those
salad bar type things with a fridge underneath it. They showed me where to
wash my hands, offered me a drink and handed me an apron.

The recipe for each station was in a frame above the station. It was very
well thought out. They had these containers to hold the Ziploc bags so you
could add the ingredients without trying to hold the bag open, too. Each
item had a measuring tool that was what you needed for the recipe (i.e. 1
cup measuring cup if you needed 1 cup breadcrumbs).

Assembly went very quickly. I was able to assemble 12 half entrees (for
three people) in under an hour. I was able to tweak the recipes as I wanted.
For example, I added some extra chicken broth to one of the chicken dishes
because I've made something similar to it before and it needed the extra
moisture. They had all the utensils I needed right there and as soon as I
finished, they swept away the dirty ones.

So, for $132, I came away with dinner for two for 12 nights and about that
many lunches as leftovers. I came home and popped one of them into the oven
and it was very good. I'm glad I added the extra chicken broth, though. It
was called Bruschetta Chicken and is basically pre-cooked chicken chunks
sprinkled with basil, mozzarella cheese, and topped with a seasoned
breadcrumb and tomato mixture. Even my daughter said it was okay and she
would eat it again, which for her is the equivalent of four stars.

None of the recipes were particularly complicated...if you take into account
that the béchamel sauce was already made, etc. It was nice to try some
recipes that I might pass by because I'm frugal and don't want to buy, for
example, a whole jar of orange marmalade that I wouldn't eat otherwise for a
recipe that calls for 1 tsp. Although, now that I think about it, I could
snag a single serving from the work cafeteria at breakfast one morning and
use that. That is what I liked...I didn't have to buy fresh ginger root and
grind it up for 1 tsp of crushed ginger, it was already done for me. Or
"open" up a whole onion for only 1/4 cup of chopped onion. It was kind of
like having a sous chef (or is there another title that works better) who
has done all the prep work and I just have to go in and put it all together.

So, bottom line...fast, convenient, customizable, no clean up, I now have a
freezer full of homemade dinners for a very reasonable price.

Ysabeau