[Sca-cooks] Home cooked alternatives

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed May 2 13:33:59 PDT 2007

In my case it's often a matter of my family coming home after 5
and deciding then what it is that they want for dinner. I try and keep
a variety of frozen foods in the freezer and fresh foods around so that
there is a choice.
Between evening homework and work demands (my husband will spend 2-3 hours
a night either grading or answering e-mails or working on papers), there's
not a lot of time for special meals on weeknights. Breakfasts are
another matter of getting
up and out the door. The teenager never knows what he wants until he's
already downstairs.
I know that this runs counter to this new movement of dining locally.
[See http://locavores.com/
Barbara Kingsolver's new book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which is the
tale of her family's year of living off the land.
Another title is Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon's just-released Plenty.
There's also an article in the NYT--
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/dining/25loca.html  ]

In my case, it's also been 5 years next month
since I injured the knee, and quite frankly there are days and even
weeks when
I do not get out of the house to shop for fresh foods. When the knee is
in bad shape, I'm
afraid that they get served what is available in the house or they can
order in. What did we buy on the last trip to Costco?
I also find that when I am working on foods to be taken to SCA events
(sideboards or subtleties or
donations of treats to royal rooms or meetings) I am especially bad
about making them eat
out or order in. In that case the kitchen here is tied up with Society
items.
I suspect that is typical as no one
has a kitchen large enough for SCA projects and family meals all at the
same time.

Johnnae

Ysabeau asked: