[Sca-cooks] Panckoecken was Dutch Pancakes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 10 05:53:25 PDT 2007

You are correct in that the recipes are the same. I meant to get this posted
yesterday but after a session of physical therapy sitting at the
computer was the last thing I wanted to do.
So here is the recipe that Aldyth was seeking (and the one mentioned in
the Heiko Ebeling recipe that appears in the Florilegium and in various
places on the web.)

Van’t Veer, Annie. Oud-Hollands Kookboek. Utrecht: Uitgeverij Het
Spectrum, 1966, 1981.The recipe reads:

PANCKOECKEN

Om panckoecken te maken in de vastenen. Neemt fijn bloeme, die suldi
beslaen met gheste. Dan maeckt daer af deech. Dan salmen van dien selven
deeghe nemen een Cleyn clontken ende maken dat viercantych seer dunne,
emmers soe dunne alst Moghelyck es om maken tot dat cleyn gaetkens
worpt. Dans bacxse wel in raeptsmout. Sommyghe dye willen backen der
inne rosinen ende dye steken si hyer en daer eene ende cock clyen
stucxkens van appelen. Page 50

I googled the first line of this recipe then and it turns up as

      126. Om panckoecken te maken inde vastenen
      To make lenten pancakes

[13] Om panckoecken te maken inde vastenen Neemt [14] fijn bloeme die
suldi beslaen met gheste Dan maeckt [15] daer af deech Dan salmen van
dien seluen deeghe ne[16]men een cleyn clontken ende maken dat
viercantych [17] seer dunne emmers soe dunne alst moghelyck es om [18]
maken tot dat cleyn gaetkens worpt: Dan bacxse wel in [19] raeptsmout
Sommyghe dye willen backen der inne [20] rosinen ende dye steken si hyer
en daer eene ende oock [21] cleyn stucxkens van appelen.

*[13] To make lenten pancakes. Take [14] fine flour which you shall beat
up with yeast. Then make [15] dough from it. Then, from the same dough,
one shall [16] take a small lump and make it square [17] [and] very
thin, in any case as thin as it is possible to [18] make, until small
holes appear. Then fry them well in [19] rape oil. Some, who wish to,
fry raisins therein [20] and they stick them one here and there and also
[21] small pieces of apple.*

http://users.pandora.be/willy.vancammeren/NBC/nbc_r126.htm

Het eerste gedrukte Nederlandsche kookboek, Brussel, Thomas vander Noot
(+/-1510) This was "The First Printed Dutch Cookbook."
http://users.pandora.be/willy.vancammeren/NBC/index.htm
This project was included in the list of Dutch cookbooks that
I submitted yesterday am.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae

Sam Wallace wrote: snipped
> Here are some Dutch language pancake recipes. Note that some may be Flemish,
> but I leave it up to you to decide if you want to play with them.
>
> To make lenten pancakes.
> Take fine flour which you shall beat up with yeast. Then make dough from it.
> Then, from the same dough, one shall take a small lump and make it square
> [and] very thin, in any case as thin as it is possible to make, until small
> holes appear. Then fry them well in rape oil. Some, who wish to, fry raisins
> therein and they stick them one here and there and also small pieces of
> apple.
> Het eerste gedrukte Nederlandsche kookboek, Thomas vander Noot
> snipped

You then cite the recipe given by