[Sca-cooks] OT: Names (was Packing from the Nimatnama)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 07:33:44 PDT 2007

On 5/18/07, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> As long as we are comparing notes... I give thanks to my grandfather and
> his brothers for translating the surname to the English version FOX
> because the German FUCHS was going to cause all their descendants
> Nothing But Trouble.

My grandfather's generation (all born in the U.S. of immigrant parents), decided to Americanize from Nudelman to Nuland, except for one cousin, who cut off the first two letters and became Delman instead.

To modern sensibilities, it might seem like abandoning part of one's heritage, but I have heard that the name was entirely different in the Old Country -- something about avoiding the Tsar's draft.

Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom