[Sca-cooks] Meanderings on family histories and foods, was, Re: Packing from the Nimatnama

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri May 18 10:08:36 PDT 2007

>My grandmother had been born
>in an ethnically German town which was actually in what is now modern
>Hungary, not far from the Romanian border -- we used to joke, behind
>her back, about being descended from Transylvanians and/or gypsies,
>or both, because had she heard such jokes, she would have been
>absolutely Not Amused. It turns out, though, that German communities
>were, and still are, scattered all over Central Europe, well outside
>of the modern German and Austrian borders, including Transylvania.

Many years ago, my uncle wanted to visit the town where my
grandfather was born.  When Grandfather left it was in Germany.  When
he finally found the place, it now was in Poland. The name of the
town was spelled differently, but they still spoke German. For quite
some time he made the joke "We were so proud of being German, but are
nothing but a bunch of Polacks".  The national boundaries have
changed so many times, there aren't nice neat lines between languages
and culture.

Ranvaig