[Sca-cooks] Horchata - Barley Water

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sun May 20 10:23:05 PDT 2007

  Inadvertently I flipped some key and lost the last SCA message sent
last night. I believe Lilinah was the one who asked to be provided with
the ordeate recipes from from Sent Sovi. Unfortunately there is no
complete translation of the manuscript to date in Castellan or English
as far as I know but Antonio Gazquez Ortiz in La cocina en tiempos del
Arcipreste de Hita does translate the third recipe into Castellan. His
translation, pp 84 is:
SE HABLA E COMO SE HACE AVENATE CON LECHE DE ALMENDRAS
Si quieres hacer avenante con leche de almendras, se hace asi:
primeramente toma leche de almendras y cuando hayas hecho la leche, toma
avena bien limpia y hazla harina, y mezclaras con dicha leche, colocala
en un pano claro y ponla a cocer como el ordiat. Espolvorear de azucar
como el ordiat.
Sent Sovi cap LXXXXVIIII
Gazquez explains that ordeate is made with barley but when made with
oatmeal it is called avenate (oatmeal). Nola copies this recipe in more
detail, see Lady Brighid ni Chiarain's . “An English translation of
Ruperto de Nola's ‘Libre del Coch." in Stefan's Florilegium
Guisados1-art. No. 118. Oatmeal Gruel and Barley Gruel AVENATE Y ORDIATE
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.htm//// //
The other recipes Chapter LXXXXVII QUE PARLA CON SE FFA ORDIAT AB LET DE
MELLE Ordeate with almond milk, Chapter LXXXVIII QUI PARLA CON SE FFA
D'ALTRA MANERA D'ORDIAT AB LET DE AMELLES Another recipe for ordeate
with almond milk and Proleg V No. 30 ORDIAT EN ALTRA MANERA - Another
recipe for ordeate. Basically these three recipes are practically the
same as the oatmeal recipe but call for pearl barley boiled in almond
milk, mashed in a mortar and sieved. They are flavored with salt. Sugar
or honey is optional. If you want the full recipes I can copy them in
Old Catalan. Mind you my copy of the manuscript is edited by Rubert
Grewe. He gives a total of 25 footnotes for the four recipes in modern
Catalan. That would make a rather long email.
Suey