[Sca-cooks] German Potato Salads

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Tue May 22 18:43:58 PDT 2007

In a message dated 5/21/2007 12:16:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kerrimart at mindspring.com writes:

<<My grandma's german potato salad was the bacon/vinegar  version.  Known in
my
circles now as "German Crack".  I'm only  allowed to make it once, maybe
twice a year:>>

My family's version is a variant on this.  No actual measurements,  although
I've estimated them when necessary to share the recipe with  people.  I know
I've done so at least once on this list.

Potatos - new ones if you can get them, or red skins.
Onions
Bacon
White Vinegar
Salt (I think, I'm blanking now!)
Celery seed

Boil potatos with skins on, then peel when barely cool enough to handle by
putting the blade of  a paring knife under the edge of the skin and pulling  -
this is a terribly sticky process which can necessitate frequent rinsing of
hands and knife - and slice into a bowl.  While potatos are boiling, fry  bacon
until reasonably crisp (I hate bacon that breaks when you touch it), and
reserve about 1/4-1/3 cup of the bacon grease - this is one of those things that
I have to do in a certain teacup that I brought from my mom's house if I want
to  get it right.  Chop up the bacon and some onion, add to cut potatos along
 with salt and celery seed.  Add about the same amount of white vinegar or a
bit more to the bacon fat and whip it together to mix it as well as possible,
 then pour over the salad and mix.   Add more vinegar directly to  the salad
to taste.  Let it sit uncovered on the kitchen table, stirring  and tasting
occasionally and nearly always adding more vinegar.  It is a  family joke that
the potato salad always needs more vinegar.  It is never  put in the
refrigerator, although it does get covered once the flavor is  right, and lasts several
days with no problems.

Brangwayna