[Sca-cooks] butter from almond milk?

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 06:08:34 PDT 2007

> Eyd?s asked about almond butter:
> <<< I've
> successfully made butter before with an electric mixer and I
> tried to do the same with the almond milk but all I got was
> frothy almond milk. How is butter made from almond milk?  >>>
>
> I'm not sure about almond butter, but how about almond cream?
>
> In the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
> almond-cream-msg  (28K)  6/17/04    A sweet custard filling used in
> sotelties.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/almond-cream-msg.html
>
> And for quite a lot about almond milk, in the FOOD section:
> almond-milk-msg   (92K)  6/30/06    Making almond milk. Recipes.
> Deskinning nuts
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/almond-milk-msg.html
>
> Stefan

Well, when I first saw the subject line I considered what should be done
with the left-over almond bits from the almond-milk-making process
(instead of trying to congeal the "milk").

Yep, nut butter.

No, I have not tried to grind "milked" almonds fine enough for nut
butter.  I have purchased commercial cashew butter in the past (I have a
great fondness for cashews...), grew up on peanut butter.

Nuts ground fine, a bit of added oil if they were processed previously
for milk, a hint of salt?

I know I'm probably missing something.  How much heat and when applied?

Amra
Kitchen Idiot