[Sca-cooks] flapjack question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu May 10 16:11:18 PDT 2007

The term "flapjack" dates from around 1600 and is used synonomously with
pancake.  However, without a description, it is difficult to say how closely
the flapjack resembles its modern counterpart.

IIRC, the Hymn to Ninkasi, Sumerian dating from around 3500 BCE, describes
making flat bread from barley meal, honey, and (probably) water.  The
ancient Irish produced flat cakes from wheat grains (softened in milk) and
honey.  It would not surprise me to find pan or hearth breads made from oats
(or oat meal), honey and butter (or some other fat), but the available
recipes tend to be OP and mostly omit sweetners, which seem to appear in the
more modern recipes.

For a little reference on oats and oatcakes, here's a quote from Gerard,

"Avena Vesca. Common Otes.
...is vsed in many countries to make sundry sorts of bread; as in
Lancashire, where it is their chiefest bread corne for Iannocks, Hauer
cakes, Tharffe cakes, and those which are called generally Oten cakes; and
for the most part they call the graine Hauer, whereof they do likewise make
drink for want of Barley."

If you go looking for recipes, try janock and haver cake.

Bear