[Sca-cooks] flapjack question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu May 10 19:59:04 PDT 2007

Margaret FitzWilliam asked:
<<< While in England last week my consort introduced me to "proper
English
flapjack" which is apparently oats, butter, and sweetener, cooked
together
briefly and then baked.

Our annual event out in the Black Hills is next weekend, and he wants to
bring some, but we're doing a period camp, so it has to be documentable.

I don't know of anything like it in the 13th-15th c. corpus, but I don't
know the later stuff at all to say yea or nay. Does anyone have a
direction to point me in? >>>

Are you specifically looking for this oats, butter and sweetener
combination? Or period pancakes in general?

If the latter, take a look at this file in the FOOD-BREADS section of
the Florilegium:

pancakes-msg      (51K) 11/20/04    Period pancakes and pancake-like
foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pancakes-msg.html

Although you did say baked rather than fried on a griddle, so maybe
you are looking more at a bread than a pancake. In that case you
might want to look at this file.
brd-mk-flat-msg   (68K)  8/26/02    Period flat or unleavened bread
recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/brd-mk-flat-msg.html

Stefan
--------