[Sca-cooks] How old is barley water?

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 11:31:07 PDT 2007

Suey wrote:
> Selene wrote:
>

>> Wow.  The De Nola version sounds to me like a barley version of
>> Horchata.
>>

> Blast you guys you always catch me on something but I have to say thank
> you very much because you point out when and where I should do more
> research or review of my stuff to improve my input. There are Spanish
> references claiming barley water or whatever you call it comes from
> horchata. ...<snip>
> So there you have your horchata - at one point Conquistadores must have
> taken rice horchata to the New World while in Spain the vogue turned to
> the earthnut. It is fascinating to learn about so many Spanish recipes
> stemming from the Middle Ages or before that have been discontinued
> apparently in Spain but are old hat to you guys today.
> Suey

Funny about that isn't it?  Too bad we can't just pick up a package of
Horchata mix at the local Mexican market and serve that up to the SCA in
good conscience.  Ah well, it's still got stronger medieval roots than
Iced Tea [dated to the mid 19th Century at the earliest].  I may just
bring some along this weekend and try it out on my friends anyway.

Cheers, Selene