[Sca-cooks] How old is barley water?

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 17 11:42:19 PDT 2007

Suey <lordhunt at gmail.com> wrote:
>	The Spaniards call it tisana or ordinate. Although the
>dictionary of the Spanish Royal Academy defines ordinate as a drink,
>the recipes in Sent Sovi and Nola are thicker. In one of Sent Sovi's
>barley flour is boiled in chicken broth until it becomes a heavy
>cream and then mixed it with almond milk and sugar. The other calls
>for whole grain. Nola's recipes are similar. He uses ground barley
>and adds cinnamon as well as almond milk and sugar.

Can you please post the Sent Sovi recipe in a language other than
14th C. Catalan (such as modern Spanish or even modern English)? I
can hack my way through a number of languages, but the Catalan is
more difficult for me. Sent Sovi has yet to be fully translated into
English.

Thanks.

(and thanks for the details of the cold soup recipe)

--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita