[Sca-cooks] Meanderings on family histories and foods, was, Re: Packing from the Nimatnama

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Fri May 18 05:29:27 PDT 2007

On my side of our family, we have the folks who came to the US before it was
the US.....so our family recipes are mostly a matter of what we were served
as children, and are pretty much regional in nature.  The only things Mama
cooked that her mother made were mostly southern-style stuff..she cooked
everything pretty much the way her mother did, though she did come up with
some things that I remember fondly from my childhood, especially her mac and
cheese, meatloaf and her spaghetti sauce.  The one recipe from Grandma that
I use is her orange fruitcake recipe which is yummy.  Dad introduced her to
the salt-cured hams and bacon that came from his father's farm...and I do
have very fond memories of baked ham and cured shoulder sliced and fried for
breakfast...she would then make "red-eye" gray and serve the whole business
with grits....mmmmmmmm.  (Can you tell I'm a southern gal???)

Phillip's culinary heritage (and he is a better cook than I am) include
nothing from his father's Slovenian heritage.  And the recipes passed on
from his mother are things like the creamed chip beef that she learned to
make from a Marine mess sergeant!  He does fix several other things that she
made, or that he remembers from living in Yugoslavia...the cook there used
to make moussaka, which he makes but doesn't use her recipe.

Kiri