[Sca-cooks] New version of Mac & Cheese

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Mon May 21 06:18:28 PDT 2007

OK...so there we were, watching "Bones" on TV, when they started talking
about a version of mac 'n' cheese that included proscuitto and leeks.  Says
gentle spouse, "That sounds interesting!"  Says me, "Yeah...wonder if I can
adapt my recipe to do that?"  So we bought some really good proscuitto from
a local deli, leeks and, instead of using the normal cheddar, decided to use
a combination of mozzarella and provolone.  What resulted was quite
tasty...I might use white pepper next time, and possibly a dash of
nutmeg...for some reason, that seemed like something that might work.
Here's what I did:

Boiled macaroni to just before al dente.
Layered casserole:  macaroni, provolone, proscuitto, leeks, mozzarella, dots
of butter, then repeat.
Made a mixture of three eggs, milk (enough to make a custard-type mixture),
salt, peppper (as I said, next time, I'll use white pepper and maybe nutmeg)
Pour mixture over casserole and bake at 350 for an hour.

Yummmmmmmm.......

Kiri
PS:  Growing up, we would fry the leftover mac 'n' cheese in butter (I now
use Smart Balance...) for breakfast the next morning...this was even better
done that way!