[Sca-cooks] [medievalanimals] Latest on the birdies- OT

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 04:28:20 PDT 2007

Well, we've had an interesting development here...Gwendolyn's single Roman Goose has decided
  to go broody! Now, she has no gander, so we've been collecting her eggs, (she laid over a dozen!)
  so she has commandeered about half a dozen eggs from the chickens around her!! Gwendolyn and Ian have
  decided to let her do what she wants, so they've marked the eggs and will see what happens...I've known of ducks
  and chickens brooding other species of eggs, but not geese yet...wonder what she'll do with THOSE babies!!

  In other news we are getting about a dozen eggs a day, quite the rainbow of colours and sizes too!! Anywhere
  from large white Leghorns and some ENORMOUS dark red Marans, to seafoam green and robin egg blue from
  our bantam Aracaunas!! Some beautiful peach and almost pink mediums from our Brahmas and Cochins too!

  Baron Ian's Phoenix Cock spurred me the other day, so his spurs got clipped way back, as did his wing feathers
  soaked with water and dumped back in the yard in front of his girls, he is sufficiently humilated that he is behaving
  himself when we come in the yard!!  He bled a bit from the spur clipping so I dosed him with anti biotic and wrapped
  the stubs with tape...Ian say's I should have wrapped them in boffer foam and duct tape and tried to authorize him!!

  Well that's all the news from the poultry yard this morning!!

  Johann von Metten
  medieval poultrier

  BTW, in other news, my apprentice THL Anneliesse the Shepardess, lost her father this weekend, please keep her
  in your prayers, as she is also autocrat for their local shire's Mayfaire this coming weekend...

Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
          My little banties are matching the big hens for eggs, and there's more
big hens ;-) Suspect, though, it's because some of my big girls are
getting rather old for laying lots of eggs. Not going to mention that
to my roommate, though, or she'll want them for the stew pot. I
figure, as hard as they've worked, they're welcome to a quiet
retirement ;-)

My goslings and ducks are doing very well, but the Romans are
characters ;-) And, I've been herding my crew (the 4 Romans and the 4
ducks) out to the front yard to get some fresh air and grass every
day. Yesterday, I set up a light fence for them, and even though the
ducklings had only been there twice, they charged right out there and
into the fenced area ;-)

The goslings aren't as speedy- they tend to get distracted on the way,
and taste everything that will stay still long enough- I'm forever
shoving them along with the broom, which is what I'm using to herd
them.

And, the goslings know exactly what they're supposed to be doing,
although they don't always do it. Two of them figured out how to get
out of the fence, and keep escaping, but, when they see me coming, try
like all get out to get back in- they know they're not supposed to be
out ;-)

This week, I'll start the second batch of goslings in the tub, and
next week have them join the older birds in their daily walks and
sunbaths in their "playpen", as I call it ;-)

I'm continually amazed at how they're growing, and how much feed
they're going through. By Wednesday, they little twirps will have gone
through 100 lbs of starter feed, and when they arrived, the whole
batch couldn't have weighed more than 3 lbs.

Glad I got involved with them. They're infinitely entertaining. And, I
just found out that another breed of goose I've had my eyes on may be
period as well. They're called Sebastopols, and they look like a goose
that got caught in a windstorm- here's a picture ;-)

http://www.metzerfarms.com/sebast.htm

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Priorities:

HIPAA Penalties

42USC1320d-6 Wrongful disclosure of individually identifiable health information

(a) Offense

A person who knowingly and in violation of this part-

(1) uses or causes to be used a unique health identifier;

(2) obtains individually identifiable health information relating to
an individual; or

(3) discloses individually identifiable health information to another person,

shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

(b) Penalties

A person described in subsection (a) shall-

(1) be fined not more than $50,000, imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both;

__._,_.___   Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

    Visit Your Group

   Vin history
   African american history
   Comfort suite at living history farm
   Living history
   Vin history report

      Like Dancing?
  Win $50,000!
  Enter the Extra
  Dance-Off on Bix!

    Yahoo! News
  Space News
  Get the latest
  space related news

    Yahoo! TV
  The Intern Contest
  You could work for
  the next Apprentice.

  .

www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"