[Sca-cooks] recommendations for fat

Adele de Maisieres ladyadele at paradise.net.nz
Tue May 22 14:55:47 PDT 2007

Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

>well, isn't that an open invitation...
>
>we have siege cooking (YEA!) at grand outlandish again
>this year, and we are allowed to bring one liquid, one
>staple and one fat.
>
>i am pretty set on the staple and the liquid, but i am
>waffling on the fat... do you think i can make a good case
>for cheese being a fat?  how about bacon?

Well... no.  Fats produced from milk are butter and ghee.  Bacon--
maybe, if you're only using the fat.

>any esoteric fats roaming around out there?  if you can't
>experiment on judges, who CAN you experiment on?

I believe the period options weren't much different from the modern
options.  Basically,
Olive and some other vegetable oils.
Animal fats (lard, bacon fat, sheep's tail fat, duck and goose fat,
suet, etc.)
Dairy fats (butter and ghee).

What I chose would depend on what I wanted to do with it.

--
Adele de Maisieres

Habeo metrum - musicamque,
hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?