[Sca-cooks] flax processing (was Bread labor)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 10 15:51:34 PST 2007

Maire mentioned:

<<< I think it's a really interesting, and no doubt eye-opening,
query to
be following.  A friend and I have casually discussed the same basic
idea in terms of an item of clothing (we're both fairly serious fiber
enthusiasts).  A simple tunic or gown, for instance--how many hours
of work to maintain the fiber animal? or harvest the flax? and all
the fiber prep, and the spinning, and weaving, and finishing, before
ever getting to the construction. >>>

I know of people who have participated in "sheep to shawl" events
starting with the shearings from a sheep and proceeding from there.
However, has anyone done, or seen done, the processing of flax from
the plant to, at least, the spinning of the flax fibers? I know that,
like making woad, it is likely to be a stinky outside activity. I'd
like to have a first-hand account on processing flax for the
Florilegium.

Thanks,
    Stefan
--------