[Sca-cooks] malfunctioning microwave

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 26 09:06:21 PST 2007


What Phlip said, Stefan, get rid of it, do not pass go, do not collect 200
dollars!  A leaking or malfunctioning microwave is a dangerous beast - toss
it and get a newer one!
Christianna

-----Original Message-----
From: sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org
[mailto:sca-cooks-bounces at lists.ansteorra.org] On Behalf Of Saint Phlip
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:31 AM
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Possible bargain on knife set for
anyoneinterested...

Dear Ghod, Stefan, get rid of that oven!!! You most defdinitely do not
want a malfunctioning microwave anywhere near you- the microwaves can
cook you as well as a piece of food, if the insulation is compromised.

As far as what a home microwave can do, some people are using them as
mini foundries, or experimenting wiyth making mokume gane.

http://www.ovwg.org/new-ovwg-site/Techniques/Microwavedrying.htm

http://mgorrow.tripod.com/microwave.html

Get rid of that thing, and get up off 100 bucks or so for a new one.


On Nov 26, 2007 1:34 AM, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> As a side note, those old manual microwaves can fail. I opened the
> door a few month ago to find that the glass tray in the bottom of the
> microwave had an inch or so sized hole *melted* in it and globules of
> melted glass around the inside. Apparently the mechanical switch is
> going bad and sometimes the oven doesn't quite turn off, since I've
> seen that happen since then. I had no idea that a consumer microwave
> oven could get hot enough to melt (Pyrex?) glass. Now we check to
> make sure it turns off and if it malfunctions, manually turn the knob
> to off. But despite this abuse the oven still runs.


-- 
Saint Phlip




More information about the Sca-cooks mailing list