[Sca-cooks] Re Killing the yeast in Mead

Steinfeld, Henry S CIV NAVAIR PMA-209T&E/AIR 1.6.3 Henry.Steinfeld at navy.mil
Mon Nov 26 04:25:59 PST 2007

 Having brewed mead now for some time, I can say I have never used
campden tablets to kill off the yeast and I feel, based upon the results
of my meads that this has never affected the sweetness of the mead.
That said, I brew to completion and sterilize the bottles with very hot
water prior to filling them.  The yeast I use is a 'mead' yeast and it
produces a sweet nectar.  The principle effect on sweetness, in my
opinion, is the yeast chosen.  I have brewed drier meads, buth this was
a choice of yeast to balance against the ingredients I chose.

In Service
Khadir