[Sca-cooks] student-grade knives?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 26 03:54:37 PST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:37 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> So what is the difference between "student-grade" and other (chef's?)
> knife sets? The student-grade knives are newer? Or they've been
> through less or are less experienced?

It's basic, entry-level equipment designed for teaching basic skills
every student should have. They'll generally be of good, but not
great, quality, not too expensive (since students tend to bleep them
up); specifically they don't always hold an edge as well as some other
knives but are usually pretty easy to sharpen. They're perfectly good
knives some cooks will want to use for years and years, but a lot of
professional, or just heavy users will find their skillsets veering
off the Standard ones taught in schools and into relatively uncharted
waters for which a different knife might be more appropriate. One
thing I noticed, for example, is that most of the serious female
cooking students found the standard "military-issue" 10-inch Dick to
be uncomfortably long for them: it was about things like height,
forearm length, leverage and moment arm. They tended to go for an 8-
inch chef's knife, which always makes me want to talk in a squeaky
voice and say, "Oooohhh, wook at da widdle chef's knife, how
cuuutttee!!!" (Actually I often use an 8-inch knife at home, but
that's largely because it's my lady wife's and she's comfortable with
them. When she's not using a mucking great cleaver by preference, that
is...)

Look at it this way: there are the cars with the little signs on top
owned by driving schools, and then there are Maseratis. The driving-
school cars will be cheap and very general-purpose, but, ideally, not
so terrible that they'll force students to pick up compensatory bad
habits. The Maserati (or whatever) is for experienced drivers who know
that this is exactly what they need for reasons X, Y, and Z.

Similarly, these aren't the best knives in the world, but they're made
by a reasonably reputable manufacturer, and inexpensive, for when
nobody is looking and the student uses them to open paint cans. After
which the more experienced user can sharpen them again and do good
work with them.

Adamantius