[Sca-cooks] What's cooking in Medieval Italy?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Nov 2 14:22:20 PDT 2007

At 01:59 PM 11/2/2007, you wrote:

>"simple mass spectrometric techniques!"   Actually...they  are.   It just
>sounds complicated.   What distressed me was  the conclusion that
>they only ate
>boiled food!   Did it not occur to  anyone that most of the meat was spitted
>and roasted?

Huh?
Most of the meat recipes in the cookbooks I have call for cooking the
meat in liquid or sauce. Am I missing something? I also came across
something the other day- apparently Charlemagne's doctors disapproved
of his habit of eating roasted meats, and insisted that he eat boiled
meats only. (I'm doing some work on Carolingian stuff right now.) I
know some of you have done work on the humours, etc. Is the boiled v.
roasted meat thing common to medieval medical theory?

(Charles continued eating roasted meats by the way. It's good to be
the King. :-))

'Lainie
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than
our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore