[Sca-cooks] tisane

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Sun Nov 4 15:31:36 PST 2007

> What about 16th century texts? Perhaps searching EEBO-TCP
> would help you locate more of what you want. It is online also.
> Johnnae
Johnnae,

I appreciate your help very much! Of course I was excited to hear about EEBO-TCP
and a searchable text of Gerarde 1633 etc. However, so far I only found a somewhat
restricted demo version with a few texts that did not include quotations for "tisane" and its variants. Of course, I would be extremely happy, if you could point me to the
extended search functions of EEBO-TCP.

Certainly, there has to be some phase of transition from the pure barley preparations to the preparations with herbs. In the meantime, I found an article by Ernst Darmstaedter on Ptisana. Among other things he quotes a 1625 German herbal by Tabernaemontanus/Bauhinus, where herbal additions are mentioned becoming more important in respect to barley ("Allerdings werden auch ziemlich viele Pflanzen-Zusätze genannt ..., sodass die Gerste selbst zurücktritt"). This might be the path of change from traditional ptisana to tisane as a herbal infusion.
As far as I can see, this happened in the 16th and 17th century, so you are right that 16th
century texts might be important.

Again: I would be happy to learn more about the EEBO-TCP facilities.

Emilio