[Sca-cooks] armored turnips

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Nov 4 15:40:25 PST 2007

Well, I've figured out why many of you might find that taste so
horrible. My local supermarket has been selling rutabagas as turnips.
Those of you who don't know the difference are certainly not going to
be helped by supermarkets that mislabel them like that.

Did, however, do a bit of research, attempting to discover the REASON
rutabagas around here are labelled turnips. Apparently the Brits, and
by extension, the Canadians, call what I call rutabagas, turnips. They
ARE related, but the difference in taste and intensity of flavor is
rather like the difference between a sweet pepper and a hot pepper.

A proper turnip is sweet and tender enough to slice and eat raw. Older
ones, which are usually bigger ones, and rutabagas are much stronger
flavored, and much more bitter.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up