[Sca-cooks] New here Hello All!!

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 6 21:29:52 PST 2007

Welcome Stephen!

My simplest eggnog recipe consists of one egg, one cup of milk and a
tablespoon of sugar, mixed well.  It gets more complex from there, of
course.

We want to keep you Recovering from Alcoholism but a lot of the
historical recipes call for alcohol of some kind, so it gets a bit dicey
to try to make substitutions.  The "non alcoholic wine" and flavor
essences just make things worse in my opinion so I don't really
recommend them as substitutions.

Instead:   Be lavish with the other flavoring agents!  Nutmeg, cloves,
extra egg yolks or cream for richness.   Glycerine-based flavors if you
can get them, try a health food store for vanilla, almond and other
flavors.  Or maybe those syrups intended for Italian Coffee or Soda
drinks, such as are made by Torani and Da Vinci.

Meanwhile, back at historical recipes... probably your best bet is to go
looking through Stephen's Florilegium, a stupendous compendium of past
answers to similar questions on the net for nigh onto two decades.  Nice
name huh?  www.florilegium.net

And the file with the specifics on the egg nog family of potables is
here:  http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/caudls-posets-msg.html

I might also suggest a switch from egg nog to spiced cider, which may be
made with fresh apple juice instead of fermented, without sacrificing
"historicity".  As thou wilt.

Yours in Service,
Selene Colfox
Altavia, Caid [NW Los Angeles, Calif.], SCA