[Sca-cooks] cookbook - need some help

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Nov 10 00:02:25 PST 2007

Lina asked:
<<< I need some help finding a good historical cookbook. I got a nice
amazon UK gift certificate for 30 UK Pound, so I finally want to buy
some decent historical cookbooks.

I'm looking for pre-renaissance information, both recipes as
explanations/original sources. Anybody here who has suggestions? >>>

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list.

Perhaps some of the annotated bibliographies in the FOOD-BOOKS
section of the Florilegium might be of use. I highly recommend this
one by Mistress Jaelle:
cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.

There are numerous other reviews in that section as well, including
files giving the pros and cons of specific translations of cookbooks
such as the one by Apicius.

Or what about books that aren't cookbooks but are about the history
of food or eating?
books-food-msg   (164K) 11/24/06    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

Even after getting these cookbooks you may be interested in other
recipe sources. Here are some reviews and listings of what can be
found online:
online-ckbks-lst  (12K) 12/18/06    A list of online medieval
cookbooks and food
                                        manuscripts by Thomas Grozier.
online-ckbks-msg  (54K)  7/28/06    Online versions of period cookbooks.

And there are also quite a few recipes scattered through the various
food sections of the Florilegium itself. Many (most?) from current
and past members of this list.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas