[Sca-cooks] squashes/pumpkins

Jennifer Carlson talana1 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 9 12:18:15 PST 2007

I've wondered about the pumpkin/squash/gourd/marrow thing, too.

In the Viennese codex "Tacunium Sanitatis," a 13th?-14th? century health manual, there is an illustration of people harvesting what the translator calls "pumpkins."  The pumpkins look like hubbard squashes.  The particular translation I have access to is called "The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti," and I believe does not include the entire codex.

Any nutritional anthropologists out there?

Talana