[Sca-cooks] squashes/pumpkins Fuchs

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 11 14:25:46 PST 2007

>> The first reference I have to publication lists 1541, but the 1542 and
> 1543
>> editions seem to be more common.
>

> I have never heard of a 1541 edition, and there is no such edition in the
> "Published works
> of Leonhart Fuchs" mentioned in Appendix 7 of the Stanford edition of the
> Latin herbal 1542.
> Do you know, where a 1541 copy might be extant?
>
> Emilio

I haven't encountered one.  It is possible that the reference I first found
contained a typographical error.  However, Smith, Betran and Runge give a
1541 date for the second illustration of corn in Fuchs' Herbal in Corn:
Origin, History, Technology and Production.  Charlotte Porter in "The
Scientific Cosmos of Columbus: An Overview" also gives the date of
publication as 1541.  And there are some other sources I have encountered
over the years with the 1541 date.  So, if the 1541 date is an error, it is
an error that has propogated.

Bear