[Sca-cooks] squashes/pumpkins Fuchs

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 12 04:22:38 PST 2007

There's a *Herbarum vivae eicones ad naturae imitationem  1532-1540 that
Fuchs is listed as having worked on. There are 3 copies listed by Worldcat.
> A number of medical books from the 1530's also list him. The
> cataloguing for the 1543 Herbal lists it as a second edition
> with this note: *Pritzel (2nd ed.); 3139.*
> Anderson in An Illustrated History of the Herbal lists the 1542 as the
> earliest. I checked and the 2001 Taschen edition
of The New Herbal of 1543 lists 1542 as the earliest.
Certainly a book of 900 plus pages and 511 woodcuts would have been in
production for quite some time, but I suspect
as Bear does that someone made an error in a source past times and it's
been repeated in a number of sources since.

Johnnae